Thursday, May 15, 2008

My first games at JG500

My first games at JG500 were with Rat, then named Streamline after a horse that either broke his heart or made his fortune, don't know which. Rat must have beaten me about 50/2 that first day in two-handers. I had no idea what he was doing but, as someone who thought himself to be a fairly good 500 player, I knew I had found a place to improve my game and have some fun. Since then, I have enjoyed 1000s of games with him. He has always been willing to play all comers and rotate as often as they want. A great player, a good sport and a good bloke too - but don't tell him I said so. Shame about his B.O. though!

Within the first week I ran up across Dave, one of the site's finest players and another great guy. It was Dave who has probably taught me more about the finer points of 500 than any other. Two of Dave's lessons immediately spring to mind: "The best block steals your opponents bid" and "When your partner starts an NT run near the end of the game - sacrifice your higher cards of that suit so s/he can keep the lead and win the tricks".

In those early days there were many lovely folk who have drifted away but we spend many hours winning and loosing and taking the #$%^ out of each other. Patty Ducati, Boo, Guy and the rest of you - happy new year and I hope to play with you again sometime soon.

Moving to more recent times I have thoroughly enjoyed playing with and against Paddy (Pat), especially in those fierce two-handed battles when all the other members are either sleeping, working or walking (Hi Nancy). What would we do without each other and this site, darls? You have come a long way since you bid your first open misere and immediately led the Jack of Diamonds - LOLOLOL - do you remember?

It was brilliant last year to catch up and play face-to-face with Badger - one of nature's gentlemen. When Roy first started playing here he thought a 6 bid was daring, a 7 bid was almost impossible to get, and we all popped the champaign corks the night he finally bid 8! That night I also met Trinity, still the finest 500 player I have ever played, and Noff, another champ, who kindly hosted the night. I look forward to many more such nights when Linh and I finally return to Australia.

No comments: